How Universities Can Leverage the Columbus Region to Boost Their Marketing Efforts
Going to college in Columbus provides opportunities and choices that enrich one's life as a student, professional and global citizen. Not only does a student enjoy the Columbus Region's rich social, cultural and entertainment environment, they are also exposed to a vibrant corporate and civic community that will give them a head start on career development.
For more on why location is critical to higher education, check out this Huffington Post piece written by Adam Weinberg, president of Denison University.
This section of BrandColumbus.com provides Columbus promotional resources that colleges and universities can use in their marketing and recruitment efforts. You'll find them below, along with examples of best practices shared by local institutions that are promoting the community that exists beyond their campus borders.
We've developed the following sample promotional copy that is intended to be used as you deem valuable to help you tell the Columbus story.
25-WORD SAMPLE DESCRIPTIONS
Columbus is always new. It's a city of entrepreneurs in every area, from technology to the arts and everything in between. Your new life starts here.
Imagine the innovation at Ohio State stretching out in every direction. That's what Columbus is—a city open to exploration and new ideas. Dive in.
Columbus is open—welcoming you to make your mark and bristling with innovators and experiences that will make their mark on you and your career.
Columbus has one of the highest populations of college students in the U.S., energizing the smart, vibrant attitude of the city. Grow your career or launch your start-up here.
50-WORD SAMPLE DESCRIPTIONS
Venture off campus into Columbus and your next adventure begins. You'll step into the largest and fastest-growing city in Ohio, where historic neighborhoods intersect with vibrant fashion, music, and entertainment scenes. It's a center for technology, health care, global enterprises, and business incubators, with a diversity of lifestyles and opportunities.
The Ohio State campus is located near downtown Columbus, acting as a catalyst for the cultural and entrepreneurial vitality the city is known for. You'll find urban cool next to historic neighborhoods, groundbreaking artists and technology entrepreneurs, innovative start-ups and global enterprises. Columbus is a great place to find yourself.
Columbus is a city with brains and heart. A city with an arts economy strong enough to support 8,500 jobs thriving side-byside with the world's leading research institutions. As new ideas flourish here, building one of the fastest- growing cities in the nation, Columbus asks—how far can you grow?
Thousands of Ohio State students have learned that the best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in Columbus. It's a city of textures, open to diverse people, charismatic neighborhoods, and innovative businesses. It's no surprise that Forbes magazine recently ranked Columbus #1 on their list of Opportunity Cities.
100-WORD SAMPLE DESCRIPTIONS
Something is happening in Columbus. To be exact, something is always happening in Columbus. A local-favorite band getting national attention. A breakthrough in cancer research. A global business establishing a new headquarters. A fashion designer turning heads in New York. It's exactly the kind of crackle you'd expect in a city with one of the highest populations of college students in the U.S. It's a city where you might hear any one of 109 languages spoken, usually in the open, friendly style that inspired MSN to rank us in the top five “Coolest Cities in the Midwest.“
If knowledge is power, then Columbus should be able to keep the lights burning for 1,000 years. Columbus is where you'll find 60 colleges and universities, two of the world's leading private research institutions (Battelle and Chemical Abstract Services), as well as OCLC—the world's largest bibliographic database covering 72,000 libraries. It's also home to some of the best creative minds, with design, performance, media and marketing industries generating over $3 billion in business each year. Yet the first thing people usually notice is our genuine, welcoming Midwest openness. Maybe that's why the best minds come here, lighting our way forward.
Who will you meet in Columbus? It might be one of the 37.6 million annual visitors who make us one of the most vibrant cities in the US. They flock here to see the nation's #1 Columbus Zoo and Aquarium or our #1 COSI science center. Some make it point to attend the Columbus Arts Festival, one of the most revered juried festivals in the nation. In fact, our nonprofit arts sector alone—artists, museum workers, arts marketers, and more—generates $226 million in annual revenue. Visitors are inspired, fascinated, amazed, and delighted—often discovering that Columbus is where they want to live and work.
You can describe Columbus in two words—open and smart. It's a technology center where world-changing innovations are born. It's a multicultural community that welcomes new residents from every country and culture. It gives hope in health care that reaches around the world, in pediatrics, cancer care, cardiac care, neuroscience, and more. It's where you can stroll through quaint German Village or be the first to know about fashion trends launching from the Limited or Abercrombie & Fitch. You'll hear 109 languages spoken here and discover art that words can't describe. Columbus extends the same invitation to everyone—we are what you make of us.
Year after year, new graduates from Ohio State flow into Columbus, helping to build a Midwest mecca for art, technology, fashion, healthcare and research. Columbus is a city continually broadening its multicultural boundaries, with culinary artists exploring tastes from Ethiopia to the Himalayas. Columbus is a progressive community, where entrepreneurs and innovators continually push the limits of what's possible. After dark, Columbus vibrates with music and entertainment, with something new to fascinate and intrigue in each of its lively neighborhoods. It's your opportunity to make contacts that launch a career or a welcoming environment to start a family.
- Columbus is rich in culture, with a thriving music community, the Columbus Arts Festival, the third-largest fashion industry in the nation, and a museum of art whose new building was selected by The Wall Street Journal as an example of the “best architecture of 2015.”
- Columbus is an arts powerhouse with more than $3 billion in annual revenue and 25,000 jobs.
- Consistently recognized as top city for equality (achieving a perfect 100 from the Human Rights Campaign), Columbus is a progressive, welcoming community that cherishes diversity. Forbes recently named us one of the top 10 “Best cities for female business founders.”
- Over 450 internationally-owned companies employ people in the Columbus area and help foster a truly metropolitan environment.
- Columbus is the 13th fastest-growing city in the U.S., one of the many reasons why Forbes named us one of America's “Cities of the Future.”
- There's no telling how far a career can grow in Columbus; it's home to four Fortune 500 and 15 Fortune 1,000 companies. No wonder Time recently named us one of the Top 10 “Best cities to start a new career.”
- Attracted by our progressive and intellectually diverse environment, as well as our distinctive affordable neighborhoods, Columbus is a celebrated launch pad for innovative new business, offering them incubators and accelerators to give them the greatest chance for success. The result? We currently have the #4 economy in the nation.
- What's close to your heart? Enrich your life by making the world a better place in the ways most important to you. Help create affordable housing with Habitat for Humanity. Empower disadvantaged woman to achieve financial independence through Dress for Success. Show some love to our furry friends at the Capital Area Humane Society or volunteer at the #1-ranked Columbus Zoo and Aquarium. Columbus is a caring community where you can find a million ways to make a difference.
- Columbus is home to two of the world's leading private research institutions (Battelle and Chemical Abstract Services) and one of the fastest growing pediatric research centers in the country (Nationwide Childrens' Hospital). In addition, Ohio State's annual research expenditures exceed $967 million.
- The best and brightest minds are coveted in Columbus. (Part of the reason why we were recently rated Most Intelligent City in the U.S. by the Intelligent Communities Forum.) That's why you'll find internships that can jump start your career in every imaginable field while you explore one of the fastest growing business communities in the country.
- Guess where you'll find the nation's largest young professional organization? That's right—right here. The Columbus Young Professionals Club has over 18,000 members. It's a networking group, a social club, a volunteer network, and an athletics coordinator all rolled into one massive membership organization.
- Ready to explore Columbus? You'll find the welcome mat has been rolled out for you. As a student, you can get discounted or free tickets to events, concerts, and trips. Use your unlimited-access COTA bus pass to check out the Gallery Hop in our exciting Short North Arts District, spend a day shopping at the open-air, pedestrian-friendly Easton Town Center, find out why we're a destination city for foodies and more.
- The Ohio State campus may be beautiful but it's just the start of Ohio's natural splendor. Columbus has 15 metro parks and more than 85 miles of bike trails (the gorgeous Olentangy Trail runs right through campus). Take a day trip to find canoeing, camping, and destinations such as the Hocking Hills for world-class ziplining.
- You may know about Ohio State athletics, but that's just the tip of the sports iceberg in Columbus. Step into the 10,100-seat stadium at Huntington Park to cheer on The Columbus Clippers, a minor league affiliate of the Cleveland Indians. Discover the massive fan base in Crew Stadium for our own Columbus Crew—the 2008 MLS Cup Champions. And just minutes away from Ohio State is the famed Arena District, where you'll find the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets. As an Ohio State student, you'll have discounted tickets for all three sports.
- From Stravinsky to EDM, Columbus is a music-lover's paradise. Our Columbus Symphony is central Ohio's oldest professional orchestra. Near you on campus, you'll find the historic Newport Music Hall and the Schottenstein Center, giving you access to the newest emerging bands and global superstars. Keep your ears open, and you just might catch a rising star among Columbus' many rock, pop, hip- hop, bluegrass, and jazz artists. Ready to get started? Grab the A-List app from ColumbusAlive.com and plug in.
VideosWe've developed ready-to-use b-roll video that you can download and repurpose in whatever way meets your needs. If you don't see what you're looking for, chances are we have it. Contact Jake Housh at Oregonia Pictures (email@example.com) to further explore our Columbus inventory.
Also, check out the videos that The Ohio State University has produced as directional examples.
A variety of photos are available for use in your promotional materials.
Here is where you can find examples of leveraging the Columbus Region at work.